If you’re a driver in Owen Sound, you’ve certainly encountered the pinch coming from the city’s extended snarl of traffic.
For some drivers already annoyed enough with having to contend with tourist traffic at this time of year, combining that extra congestion from snail’s-pace detours can leave one to feel like everyone is ready to tear their hair out over this traffic.
Except that the majority of local drivers, really don’t mind the traffic at all, as evidenced in a Facebook poll on Owen Sound traffic.
The poll’s question is as straight forward as it gets:
“So, how are you feeling about the gridlock traffic in downtown Owen Sound?”
Residents had two options for their option:
- “There’s worse things in the world to be upset about… I just plan my time accordingly.”
- This is over the top & it’s driving me nuts
Of the 127 respondents at the time of this writing have voted, almost 70% have chosen option one – that downtown Owen Sound’s present traffic congestion doesn’t bother them in the least.
What’s most intriguing about the debate are points raised on both sides of the debate in the comments section of the poll:
- For anyone accosting the work crews – they’re adhering to the schedule set up by the city and the contractors who hired them. Give them a break.
- If you’re from a larger urban center, the present Owen Sound traffic congestion is child’s play.
- We are in the season of great weather – many commuters are closer to work than they think. So why not walk? An 8-minute drive amounts to about a 20-minute walk.
- Don’t let the increased traffic make you lose your sense of courtesy. Plenty of people get stuck in side-streets and rely on the kindness and consideration of fellow drivers to let them turn into the mainstream of traffic.
- Many drivers get very frustrated when, regardless of the degree of traffic, see that no work is being done on the project on a given day.
- A couple of commenters pointed out that, as bad as traffic has been in Owen Sound, it’s going to be a lot worse when the replacement of the 10th street bridge gets underway.
To keep following the conversation, go here.
For more updates on everything Owen Sound, go here.